Friday, February 27, 2009

I <3 Sapporo

Feb. 4, 2009. We arrive in Sapporo:

Back in Sapporo! Yay!
This was the first place I stayed when I went to Japan back in 1991, almost 17 years ago (wow...). So Sapporo kinda feels like my hometown in Japan. It was only for three weeks (out of six), but I remember it quite fondly. My host family was great. Very nice people. I wish I'd kept in touch with them, but I only stayed in touch with them for maybe up to a year afterwards. I'd always intended to go back and visit, but... things never seemed to go that way.
So one of my top priorities on this trip was to find my host family again and say, 'Thank you.'
Anyways, more on that later.

The First Night:
We met the Murakamis. Sally had met online and asked them to show us around.

Naoto, Ayako and cute little Kokoro.

They took us out to a little hidden place that was very, very good, and had all you could drink sake (until about 10:00). The bottles kept coming, and coming!



Kokoro was throwing up a 3 finger peace sign, so her father and I followed in suit.

Afterwards dinner, we said goodbye to the Murakamis, and went to see the town at night.

Another flashy McDonalds. On every major street, there will be one, or two, or five.

More cigarette vending machines, 4 in a row, just lined up for lung cancer.

Santa's still around in February? His fat butt needs some help!

Then back to our hotel rooms. Looking pretty standard.


Next morning we set out for the Yuki Matsuri (Snow Festival). But that will get it's own post.
First I had to hit Starbucks though. =P



This place was Insane!

Cool!

Ayako and Kokoro met us at the Snow Festival.

We went out for Hokkaido Style ramen. Miso flavor, with scallops.


After that we said goodbye, and I set out to search for my 'homestay' host family.

My Homestay Family:
All I really had to go by was an old bussiness card to Dr. Ishimaru's dental office that I'd kept for nearly 17 years. I called and got confirmation the day before that the phone number still worked for his office. However my Japanese, and the receptionist's English, weren't really good enough to comunicate clearly.
So I headed for the address on the bussiness card.

One thing I like about Sapporo is the streets are easy to follow (North 1/East 2). So after I got to the correct streets I asked someone and the pointed me to the right building. So I got to the right floor and came into his office. After my call they were expecting me. Mr. Ishimaru greeted me and welcomed me into the back. And in a classic Gaijin (=idiot foreigner) move, I started walking back there with out taking off my shoes. "DOH!" So after horrifying all of them, and correctly putting on some slippers I walked to the back, and surprised to see that Mrs. Ishimaru was working there too.

Me and Mrs. Misuzu Ishimaru. I drew a little picture.
Mr. Ishimaru had to go back to work. But then I was surprised again that his daughter, Miyori, was working there too. Mrs. Ishimaru called her son, Koichi, who happened to have the day off, and he came down as well.

We made plans to meet for dinner, then Koichi and I then headed out, and bumped into the other sister, Tomomi, in the lobby.

Pretty random. I had managed to meet the whole family again at his office in about 45 minutes. And from what I gathered Mr. Ishimaru had actually moved his office, and had debated about opening up in a completly different area (even out of country) but then moved back. So it was really just by chance that everything worked out as it did.

Out on the Town:

6 foot tanuki, by the Tanuki King store.

There are underground Malls that go for literally miles, and miles, and miles.

Lot's of stuff that would be: A) Offensive, or B) Illegal in California.

We met up with Tyler and Shirley and went to the Sapporo beer factory. That I'll make a seperate post for too. Later we returned to see the Yuki Matsuri (Snow Festival if you haven't got it by now) at night. Then out to dinner.

Toshiharu, KReeP, Misuzu, Miyori, Koichi.

Group picture.
We had a very nice meal, and in Japanese fashion, they insisted on paying for it. (Which makes you feel kinda guilty...). They also got us a cab to take us back to the train.
After all that, I think i forgot to say thanks for taking care of me 17 years ago...
So, um...
ほんとうにありがとうございました。
Thank you very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment